Saturday, October 23, 2010

Game day and Nap day

Scott announced late last night that he was *still* considering taking Owen to Chattanooga tomorrow. The second part didn't shock me. The first part was a surprise. He was STILL considering...like I knew that was in play? I had not heard mention of him planning anything, but couldn't argue at the prospect. After a long week of all 3 children being sick, a missed school day, and an empty fridge, I was ok with that idea.


Today Owen and Scott went to Chattanooga. I found my head filled with songs of trains and trolleys all day. Why is it that Chattanooga brings to mind the sounds of trains? I have never even been there. After their departure we were faced with decisions of what we could do all day. HMMM....


First stop. Breakfast. I quickly learned that there isn't many places for breakfast in Farragut or far west Knoxville if you aren't eating fast food. Those that do exist in a reasonable driving range were BUSY. People stacked on the sidewalk outside of the restaurant all wearing UT Orange clothing. It is a crazy thing to see. There must be a city ordinance about wearing Orange on game day, because you don't see many in noncompliance. Luckily, I haven't been arrested and I was just without breakfast. Maybe I should reconsider reasonable driving distance next time.


2nd stop. Grocery store. Although UT game day makes people dress head to toe in Orange, it does provide us newcomers with little social life for tailgating or money for games wonderful opportunities if you avoid downtown. Last Saturday, I needed to go to Target. Parking was insane. Traffic was schizophrenic. I don't mind parking in the last row of a lot, but that wasn't even available. I have been warned that within a couple weeks as the holidays approach, getting anywhere near here will be close to impossible. Today, lots were empty. The only ones there were pushing out carts filled with cases of beer and snack food for the game. Perfect. Quiet store. Minimal traffic. 


3rd stop. Naps. This is where the day gets interesting to me. After eating lunch, Megan and Aidan went upstairs without me saying a word. We layed down for nap and slept. I didn't have any anxiety of Owen raiding cupboards, burning the house down or leaving the house unannounced, so I slept. When we woke up, I laughed. It was 5 pm. There went the possibility of completing any of the household chores that were on my list. 


4th stop. Dinner. Why is it when I go grocery shopping, the last thing I really want to do is prepare food? I had a coupon. Because "the game" was in progress and all people wearing Orange were doing other things, our pizza arrived very quickly. 


Meanwhile, I get this picture  




Mom is not here...ice cream for dinner.

Gone went the guilt of ordering a pizza. Sure I could have removed the soccer sized hornets nest in the basement, fixed the upstairs toilet that decided to imitate Niagara Falls last night at 2 am, put away the laundry or wipe down the years of black grime on the white woodwork in our rental house today. That doesn't matter and will wait for another day, because we must have needed that nap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment