Thursday, November 8, 2012

Ho. Ho. No!

Santa arrived at the local mall today. One week after Halloween. They invited us with temptations of cookies, holiday writing stations, activities and photos we could waste money on. No. Ho. Ho.

No.Thank you, Santa. You should be busy with all your elves right now and not creating unnecessary drama in children. I am going to celebrate my favorite holiday first. I am going to continue with my laundry piles, cooking, grocery shopping and hoping for a day of rest and relaxation with friends and family on my favorite holiday.

I have no idea how Thanksgiving became my favorite holiday, but it is. Maybe it is the lack of snow in Tennessee that tipped it over the edge to me loving a leaf raking, windows open and cooking all day sort of day. I have worn flip flops on Thanksgiving Eve downtown twice now since moving here. This year may be different since my blood is getting cold.  It may be the invitation to sit still and provide for your family with an indulgent meal, if you are able. No gifts, no credit card bills, no frantic madness...nothing. Cooking is not madness to me. I cook every day. Maybe it is the excitement of turning on holiday lights and decorating a Christmas tree. Maybe.

I knew my Dad proposed to my Mom on Thanksgiving as there was always flowers and kisses, but I didn't hear the real story until tonight when I fact checked. My investigative reporting revealed  how he had the ring in his pocket at the Wagon Wheel the Saturday before that Thanksgiving Thursday. With undue pressure from his brothers, he waited.  I think you chose the right day, Dad. Owen and Aidan - take notes, from Grandpa. There is nothing to be more thankful for than your Grandpa and Grandma. Or your Mom or Dad. Your Aunts and Uncles or your future partner in life.

I think Thanksgiving is about the simplicity. About love without obligations. The family gathers or the friends-givings are priceless. Even if we sit again at a table five or a table of 30, we are going to link a chain of Thankfulness that will carry us on until the next year and years to come.

I just have a lot of weight on my shoulders to make it less lonely for us all for the next few months  Thank goodness for stickers and paint and play dough. And I hope that years from now the kids will not want to miss Mom's cooking and are able to return home. Because I would give anything for my mom's cooking again.

Gobble, Gobble. And be Thankful. No Ho, Ho, Ho, just yet.





No comments:

Post a Comment